For those interested in the creative potential of digital technology, virtual reality and interactive media, the 29th edition of IDFA will have more to offer than ever before.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of IDFA’s new media program DocLab, which showcases the best interactive non-fiction storytelling and explores how the digital revolution is reshaping documentary art. We will look back on the past 10 years with special anniversary events and the IDFA DocLab program will showcase the best new work from across the field. DocLab Academy presents a unique interactive training program and the IDFA Crossmedia Forum offers new funding and co-production opportunities for innovative non-linear projects.
New this year is the IDFA DocLab Immersive Network, in which IDFA organizes cross-sectoral networking events, commissions new works and invites the interactive industry to explore the art of immersive technology. A key event will be the invite-only Immersive Network Day on Saturday November 19; more details will be available online in August.
We look forward to receiving your projects and please feel free share this call among your network.
Submission deadline: August 1
DocLab is open to all sorts of interactive projects, ranging from webdocs, virtual reality and artificial intelligence projects to physical installations, multimedia journalism, live performances and everything else that tells a documentary story or explores unknown realities. All projects submitted for the DocLab anniversary program will be considered for the Digital Storytelling Award and the Immersive Non-Fiction Award. Preference is given to pieces that have not been widely presented at other events.
» Click here to submit
IDFA Crossmedia Forum
Submission deadline: September 1
IDFA Forum, the festival’s international co-production and co-finanancing market welcomes new media projects with an emphasis on interactivity seeking professional input, co-production and financing partners. Through public pitches, one-on-one meetings and networking events the Crossmedia Forum is a meeting place for creative producers and a diverse group of professionals in the field of interactive storytelling.
» Click here to submit (from July 1)
IDFA and interdisciplinary arts centre De Brakke Grond invite emerging interactive artists, storytellers and documentary filmmakers to apply for a unique 5-day training program, which includes masterclasses, workshops, and access to key industry events. The application deadline is September 12; more details can be found here.
Key festival dates
- Immersive Network Day Saturday November 19 (by invitation only).
- DocLab Interactive Conference Sunday November 20: digital pioneers and artists present their most provocative works, lessons learned and visions for the future.
- IDFA Crossmedia Forum November 21-22.
- DocLab Summit November 21: industry think tank event (by invitation only).
- DocLab Live Cinema Events November 17-22: an exclusive series of five unpredictable evenings, ranging from interactive showcases to experimental multimedia performances with live music and contributions from the audience.
- DocLab Seamless Exhibition November 17-27: showcasing installations and interactive projects exploring the future of documentary storytelling.