DocLab Live: Stories from the Digital Lowlands 26 Nov 2014 at 20:00pm
Wednesday 26 November 2014
Financing Market: IDFA Crossmedia Forum 25 Nov 2014 at 14:30
Discover some of the best new media projects currently seeking financing and partners.
DocLab Live: Virtual Reality Showcase 25 Nov 2014 at 20:00pm
Tuesday 25 November 2014
A Journal of Insomnia
The website as a confessional: insomniacs are asked to provide insight into their affliction, which will be used in an interactive artwork.
A Journal of Insomnias is a website that doubles as a confessional: not meant for sinners, but for those who can’t sleep. In the first phase of this interactive project by the National Film Board of Canada, insomniacs are encouraged to talk about their affliction. Literally: their sleepless moments are recorded through the webcams and microphones in their computers and via text messages. Insomnia is a growing problem in all industrialized nations, where on any given night up to 30 percent of the population is unable to sleep. But specialists see it as a symptom, not a disease. In this first phase, A Journal of Insomnias maps this symptom in all its variations, in an artistic rather than a clinical manner. The materials that are generated will be used in phase two, which will be ready in 2013. The interactive work will provide a portrait of chronic insomniacs and challenge visitors to give up part of their own night’s sleep to experience insomnia from the inside.
- by Bruno Stagnaro, Caroline Hayeur, David Mongeau-Petitpas, Manuel Archain, Marc-Antoine Jacques
- by Thomas Wallner
- by Miranda July
- by Owen Mundy
- by Jiao Chen, SBS Australia
- by Rosario González
- by Kutiman
- by Phil Cox
- by Mark Thompson, Michael Epstein, Design I/O and eyeball
- by Topaz Adizes, Nathan Phillips
- by Dirk Jan Visser, Jan Rothuizen, Martijn van Tol
- by Antoine Viviani
- by Eline Jongsma, Kel O'Neill
- by Loc Dao, Pablo Vio, Lindsay Poulton, Jeremy Mendes, Francesca Panetta
- by Julie Snyder, Sarah Koenig